This version of is not compatible.

Non-compatible browsers, in addition to preventing you from using all of the webpage’s features, are slower and present security risks.

We recommend that you update your version of your browser now, or that you access the page using another compatible browser .

Go to content
Homes and Businesses
  • CAT
  • EN
  • ES

Endesa - Electricity, Gas, People

What is social rate and how do I apply for it?

What is the Social Rate?

The Social Rate is a discount established by the Government on the VPSC tariff, aimed at protecting households classed as vulnerable.

Since Royal Decree 897/2017 came into force in October 2017, the requirements for benefiting from the Social Rate have changed.

Who can benefit from the new Social Rate?

In order to benefit from the Social Rate, you must have the VPSC electricity tariff (with or without time restriction) and a contracted power equivalent to or below 10 kW in your usual residence.

In addition, you will need to fulfil certain requirements in order to be classed as a vulnerable customer, severely vulnerable or severely vulnerable customer at risk of social exclusion.

What are these requirements?

Vulnerable customers

Vulnerable customers (benefiting from a 25% discount on electricity bills) are considered to be anyone holding a VPSC contract that fulfil any of the following requirements.

Their total annual income is less than or equivalent to the following limits:

*Annual IPREM 14 payments valid for 2019: 7,519.59 euros.

All of these thresholds will be increased by 0.5 times the IPREM if any of these circumstances are met:

Pensioners: if the applicant (or in the case of a family unit, all members of the same) who have income, receive the minimum pension (for retirement or permanent disability) and do not receive any other income whose annual aggregate amount exceeds €500.

Large families: all without exception.

Severely vulnerable customers

Customers are classed as severely vulnerable (discount of 40% on electricity bills):

Severely vulnerable customers at risk of social exclusion

This category includes severely vulnerable customers receiving assistance from social services from a regional or local Administration that finances at least 50% of the sum of their bill.

Limits on electricity consumption

Discounts of 25% and 40% of total electricity bills are subject to a limit on energy consumption which, when exceeded, the VPSC will be applied:

It is free to apply

Fraudulent websites have been detected that attempt to charge you to apply for the Social Rate. We remind you that applying for the Social Rate is an absolutely free process. You do not agree to pay to open the application and you do not provide your card number.

What documentation do you need to request the Social Rate


What documentation do I need to have

Where to find the documentation

    • Documentation
    • Vulnerable / Severely vulnerable consumer
    • Where can you obtain the documentation
    • Social Rate Form completed and signed by the entire family unit.
    • it is mandatory to present this document
    • Photocopy of the NIF or NIE of the holder and all members of the family unit (including those above the age of 14 capable of working and those younger than 14 who have one).
    • it is mandatory to present this document
    • In the event the holder forms part of a family unit, the family register or certification of the individual sheet of the Civil Registry for each one of the members of the family unit. In the event of not forming part of a family unit, the individual sheet of the Civil Register or any document issued by the competent authority that accredits the civil status of the applicant.
    • it is mandatory to present this document
      • Civil Registry
      • Competent authority
    • City registration, individual or group, of the holder and all members of the family unit.
    • it is mandatory to present this document
      • Offices of Citizen Services
      • Town Councils
    • Photocopy of a valid large family card.
    • Only applicable to large families.
      • Offices of Citizen Services
      • Family Departments in Regional Social Services Offices
    • Social Services Certificate from the competent agency of from one designated by the autonomous Community, certifying Special Circumstances:
      • Disability equal to or greater than 33%.
      • Victim of gender violence.
      • Victim of terrorism.
      • Dependency recognized grades II and III.
    • Only applicable to Special Circumstances.
      • Department of Social Affairs
      • Base Centres of the Social Services Offices

How to apply for the Social Rate

The social rebate is part of the regulated energy market. As such, regulated market traders (leading suppliers) are the only power companies authorised to offer the social rebate.

Endesa is a free-market company. In order to apply for the social rebate, you must contact one of the regulated market traders. They will handle procedures and inform you whether your application has been accepted or rejected: